Sunday, June 29, 2008

Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop


Today, Louise and I were supposed to go to the gym coz it's been weeks again since the last time we worked out but because of the stronger desire to just hang out at a near by mall, we changed our plan and headed to Podium.

I brought along with me my laptop, in which i just bought mid of 2nd quarter this year and then after almost a month, its uber 250gb harddisk crashed. Yeah i know the feeling!!! Not to brag about my laptop that has soaring specs, a black dell inspiron 1525 model: 3gb RAM; 250gb SATA HD; Intel Core 2 Duo; 1.83Ghz; built-in 2 megapixel webcam; and wi-fi capable. I had my friend buy it in Canada, and it's really cheaper compared to those laptops available here that are far down with regards to their specs. Well i guess this is the price you pay for having it bought outside because the warranty support for it will be a tedious thing since there's no official Dell support center here in the country, and the only choice for me to avail the warranty included is to ship it back to Canada. No way! I'll just shed some money to have it fixed rather than taking the risk of sending it to Canada with no finite timing when it can be returned to me.

Anyway to cut it short, I went to GTG shop at the basement level of Podium and had them checked on the unit and advise on whether my speculation was true and on the solution. Vern, the guy from the shop received my laptop, and took out the harddisk from it and have it plugged like an external harddisk on a near by pc to check whether he can retrieve my numerous and precious files before reformatting it if it can still be used. We left the laptop with him while he was trying to revive it because it will just bore us out. Instead, he will just text me on the findings once done.

Side story...we left the GTG shop and had ourselves dine on NYPD, that's in the Cinema level of Podium, beside Subway. Louise was the one who picked the place and as well as the food. We pigged out on blue cheese delights. She ordered an NYPD Blue Pizza, Buffalo wings and Clam Chowder soup. I love the unique taste of blue cheese on the pizza, she's hesitant that i might not like the taste of it but c'mon i love food trip. The buffalo wings for me tops it all, i drooled on the sauce, its somewhat tangy and a bit spicy, that really complimented the dip made up of tartar cream sauce mixed with blue cheese. I love the dip! I even used some of it as a speard over my blue cheese pizza. Clam chowder is fine with me nothing speacial but delicious. Definitely i will go back to get some of the buffalo wings again and blue cheese pizza. Ok enough about food! Remember, you didn't go the gym! Hahahaha! Going back to the main topic...

I received an sms message from Vern, saying that he could no longer reformat my harddisk and worse, couldn't make it work anymore to retrieve my files. Oh no!Goodbye to my files which includes a lot of pictures, personal stuffs, previous work-related projects, etc...I don't have any back-up of those coz to sum them all would amount to more than 70gb in size. Regrets...regrets...if i haven't deleted the files after transferring them from my old laptop, i should still have them.

The only option left for me was to buy a new hard disk. I went to megamall to buy a new one, instead of letting the shop buy for me which would take a number of days before they can give me back my laptop. I bought a 160gb harddisk. I decided to downgrade it from the previous 250gb to 160gb harddisk because I am afraid that it might crash again and will just make the remaining free space go to waste. I'll just buy an external hard disk so that I can have more than 250gb of space that is separated from each other. So if ever, well I hope not anymore, one of the harddisk crash then i still have my backup stored in the other one. I got my laptop around 8pm, its fixed already with all the packaged installers installed. The total amount i spent for the repair is 5100 pesos, the breakdown will be 1800 pesos for the service fee and 3300 pesos for the 160gb hard disk.

Lessons learned:
1. Always have a back-up!
2. Don't let your crashed harddisk saturated for too long, as early as you can bring them to a repair shop for a higher chance in reviving and repairing(as advised by Vern)
3. Don't be so over confident that a powerful laptop could not be faulty.

No comments: